Lake District photo-trip Part 2

 

A view from Allan Bank in Grasmere as the bad weather began rolling in. 
Canon R100. 18-45mm kit lens.

In my last post here I discussed the cameras I had chosen to take along with me on a Lake District Trip. After a great deal of thought, far more than I gave to what clothes I needed to pack, I chose my Canon R100 digital, a Canon G7X digital, my Olympus mju-1, film camera and a Zentit B film camera - both loaded with Ilford HP5. So let me talk over my feeling about using each camera, with photographs of course.

The Canon R100, 18-45mm kit lens
Canon's latest and least expensive R-range camera. It is classed as 'entry level' but although the cheapest in the R-range, for me it performs extraordinarily well. I wanted a lightweight and easy to use camera with a large 24.1 MP APS-C imaging sensor providing better light gathering performance and increased control over the depth of field than my iPhone SE. The image quality is really good with the ability to shoot both RAW and Jpeg simultaneously. Although it may lack many of the features of more expensive digital cameras, for me it was the ideal companion on a holiday. The colours are faithful and the quality, particularly with RAW images is excellent.

In the grounds at Rydal Hall. Canon R100. 18-45mm kit lens. Manfrotto Monopod.

The Canon G7X
My back-up digital camera was my Canon Powershot G7X. Although and older camera (2014) it takes excellent pictures, has a brilliant macro mode, is very small and light but also tough. (See my previous post for more information on this cameras specifications). Using the small G7X is pretty straightforward and the results can be excellent. It's small enough to place in your pocket and simple enough to use with one hand if required but to get the best out of this camera it's wise to get used to all the controls. The sturdy metal build makes it perfect for a walking holiday. Although it doesn't have an EV, the rear screen is clear and bright and in all but extreme bright lighting conditions works perfectly well. 

The grounds of Brockhole Visitors Centre. Canon G7X.

So much for the digital cameras... I also took along film cameras. I'm beginning to find shooting film both challenging but also enormously rewarding. It really is very different from using my digital cameras and has made me pay far more attention to my surroundings, the light, tones and shapes in front of me. So far I have only used black and white film. About 40 plus years ago I used my film cameras mainly with reversal film but never quite like my approach today. Going back to film again is like a brand new experience for me.

The Olympus mju-1, Ilford HP5+.
A very compact and beautifully designed camera by designer Maitani Yoshihisa. (See my previous post for more technical information). As this was an Autumn trip to the Lake District I knew that I couldn't rely on the weather or the sunlight, so I opted for HP5+ to give me the best chance in lower light conditions. Also I'm simply not experienced enough yet to try lower speeds in possibly poor light and I desperately wanted to obtain some decent results. The mju-1 did not disappoint. It's a very capable point-and-shoot camera. Although it commands a high price in the second-hand market I can recommend one, particularly if you're new to, or returning to film.

Dead Tree, Rydal Water. Olympus mju-1, Ilford HP5+

The Zenit B, Ilford HP5+.
Finally, we come to the Zenit B using the Industar-50-2 50mm f/3.5 lens. A Russian camera built in 1969. Solid metal and very, heavy. I just had to take this beast along because it used to belong to my wife and only came back into our possession this year after 40 plus years. Looked after well in that time but never used. A great deal of TLC went into getting this old camera back into operation and I wanted to try it out to see if my labours had been worth the effort. The short answer is a resounding yes!

Rowing boat, Grasmere Lake, Zenit B, Industar-50-2 50mm f/3.5, Ilford HP5+

In 
Conclusion
I really enjoyed using all four cameras while on this short holiday in the Lake District, although lugging them about in camera bags and rucksacks wasn't the best idea at times. But what I took away from the photo-trip, apart from the joy of just making photographs each day, was using the Zenit and a light meter giving me a totally different experience. First, I had to 'see' what I wanted to capture, observe the light while bearing in mind the cameras limitations. Take a light reading. Focus the lens while wide open followed by applying the correct settings and speed based upon the meter readings, re-compose and finally capture the image. For some this may seem like a lot of bother - why not just use the R100 and be done with it. But for me, the act of slowing the whole process down before capturing a moment in time, made me think far more about what I was trying to do. Don't get me wrong, I always try to think carefully about my pictures, but this was entirely different. I became much more aware of my surroundings and not just the light, shapes, forms and tones but even the wind and the sounds around me. This all added to the pleasure in making a picture in this way. 

Next: Canon AE-1, Nikon FE and a Zenit TTL. How I ended up owning these cameras and how they compared when out on a few photo-walks.