Canon R100 versus the iPhone 17pro

A stills photographers personal experience


Canon R100 alongside the iPhone 17 Pro which is attached to the Ulanzi phone grip


I am primarily a still-image photographer. So this blog post will concentrate on the making of still photographic images using two devices, shooting in the same location using the same light and as near as possible, the same settings. I hope by working this way I can discover the strengths and the weaknesses of each device. I do not intend to write about the operating system of the phone or the video capabilities of either device. You will have to look elsewhere for that. But first a little background information on both devices.


Old jetty at Liverpool waterfront near the Festival Gardens site. Canon R100

Old jetty at Liverpool waterfront near the Festival Gardens site. iPhone 17 Pro

The Canon R100

The compact and portable Canon EOS R100 Mirrorless Camera offers a range of features to suit a variety of multimedia applications, but it is the cameras excellent still-image capabilities and the APS-C-sized 24.1MP CMOS sensor and DIGIC 8 processor that I am really trying out against the iPhone 17pro.


The standard Canon kit lens bundled with the Canon EOS R100 is the Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM. This compact zoom lens is specifically designed for Canon's APS-C crop sensor mirrorless cameras, offering a 35mm equivalent focal range of 28.8–72mm. It handles everyday photography well, including wide landscapes, street shots, and portrait. So this is the lens I will be using.


The iPhone 17 Pro

The Pro’s camera system works with three powerful 48MP sensors that function together seamlessly. This triple-camera setup includes a Fusion Main camera, Fusion Ultra Wide camera, and Fusion Telephoto camera, each designed for specific shooting scenarios.


The 48MP Fusion Main camera serves as the primary shooter with its 24mm focal length and bright ƒ/1.78 aperture. This sensor incorporates second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization, ensuring sharp photos even in challenging conditions. The 100% Focus Pixels technology covers the entire sensor surface, delivering faster and more accurate autofocus performance.


All of the above sounds very impressive but what are these devices like to use in ‘the field’. How do they feel and handle and even more importantly, what are the results like?


I decided it would be fun to test them both under the same conditions.


Looking along the Mersey towards the Albert Dock. iPhone 17Pro

I must add here that I have attached a phone grip to the iPhone (see my last post for more information), as I much prefer using the camera on the phone in this way. I find all phones these days far too thin and small for my hands. I don’t believe this gives the iPhone an advantage but it does improve the handling.


Looking along the Mersey towards the Albert Dock. Canon R100


The simplicity of the Canon R100 is designed to lure smartphone users away from their phones and back to a more traditional camera. The back plate is fixed 3.0-inch LCD panel that cannot be tilted, flipped, or operated via touch. To navigate menus, change settings, or select your autofocus points, you must use the physical directional buttons and dials on the camera body. The control dials are simple to use with clear icons making altering the settings very easy. There is even a ‘guided menu’ for those totally unfamiliar with cameras which is carefully designed and works well for those who need a little more help.


A ratio of 3:2 matches the camera sensor so that is the setting I will use for making photographs with the Canon. The Pro’s nearest match is 4:3.


I have kept camera ISO low, where possible, for the outdoor shots maxing at 400 for sharper images. The iPhone Pro’s system is designed to select the ISO and unless you use third party software, it is not possible to set the ISO on the phone.


Both devices can operate in full automatic mode. Both devices allow the photographer a series of settings to control the finished photograph, although the Canon offers a far more traditional approach.


Broken tree. Canon R100

There's no doubt that the iPhone handles the light well and manages to capture both bright skies as well as the shadows better than the Canon, however the Canon produces far better detail, especially when enlarged and the light is good. The 'Broken Tree' is evidence of this. The Canon has also produced a richer overall image in my opinion. The iPhone uses Smart HDR technology as well a Photonic Engine for noise reduction and detail enhancement. This is in many ways more advanced than Canon's Digic 8 image processor. Having said that, the Canon processor relies on physics and uses the much larger sensor and high quality lenses to capture clean data from the start. Although the Canon R100 is a very recent addition to Canon's range the Digic 8 processor was introduced in 2018.


Broken tree. Canon R100

The screen on the iPhone gives a very clear idea of what the cameras can do and is far larger than the back plate of the Canon. But there are times, in particular, bright sunlit scenes, where the EVF on the Canon is a distinct advantage. 

I should mention here that the images used have not been enhanced in any way and are all straight from the camera and iPhone. The day was bright with sunny intervals. 

Wispy Fennel with a backdrop of foliage. iPhone 17 Pro

Although I have failed to match the distance here, I still think this example of the Fennel was worth using as I believe the Canon has caught the softness of the scene so well. The iPhone tends to use harsher colours to my eyes while the Canon produces more natural tones, however the sky is totally lost. To be fair to the Canon, if I had given more time to the shot I probably could have made a better job, but time was tight.

Wispy Fennel with a backdrop of foliage. Canon R100

I should mention here that the images used have not been enhanced by post-processing and are all taken straight from the camera and iPhone. The day was bright with sunny intervals. The light changed frequently as clouds passed overhead creating bright landscapes one minute and cloudy scenes the next. Both devices coped well with the changing conditions but the iPhone built-in software made adjustments internally and automatically whereas I was using Aperture Priority Mode on the Canon and made adjustments as I went along - not always speedily enough. As I said time was a little tight.

Pathway and river with clouds. iPhone 17 Pro

The Pathway and river shots really do show just how well the iPhone handles difficult light. With no adjustments both the foreground and sky are captured quite well.

Pathway and river with clouds. Canon R100

Whereas the Canon has struggled with this shot. With some simple post-processing I am certain that more detail could be gained without too much loss of sky. Having said this, I do like the result from the Canon and would probably only bring out a little more detail in the foreground if I did make changes.


Foot bridges. iPhone 17 Pro

For this final photograph, I think the iPhone has over compensated for the light and the shot though clear, lacks depth and detail.

Foot bridges. Canon R100

The Canon R100 has given this scene real depth and detail. Personally, I prefer it but I have to admit the iPhone 17 Pro is capable of producing stunning images given the right conditions.

In conclusion 
In the field both devices worked incredibly well and for the most part produced very good results. The Canon R100 is clearly the more capable device, but you need the time to adjust the settings when events are moving quickly, but for ease of use and where time is tight and opportunities are presenting themselves quickly, such as a wedding or a party, the iPhone 17 Pro in more than capable of excellent results.

I enjoyed working with both devices and I spent my time having some fun with my hobby. I was not looking for portfolio photographs, rather I just curious and wanted to compare the two devices under the same conditions. I hope anyone reading this has found it informative.