Fuji X100f vs iPhone SE20


I use a variety of cameras to make photographs, mainly Canon and Fuji, but also more recently I have experimented with an iPhone SE20. Although this phone is the cheapest current iPhones on the market I have been surprised at the quality of the photographs I could make with it. 

I wanted to really put the cameraphone the test so armed with my Fujifilm X100f, a fixed lens mirrorless camera with an APS-C sensor and my iPhone SE20, 12MP sensor with Apple's latest A13 Bionic Chip, I walked to the ruined orangery at Allerton Tower which I thought would make an interesting subject for the experiment.

The light was pretty constant, bright and sunny. I stood in the same spot and shot images with both cameras in monochrome. A small amount of post-processing was done in Apple Photos and Affinity Photo, mainly to bring out a little more detail in the shadows but little else.

The results were interesting (to me at least). Both Phone and Camera made good photographs with similar results. At 100% more detail was apparent in the Fuji camera image. But I remain surprised at just how well the iPhone performed.

Both images appear below. Click on them for a larger scale image and to see what you think.

Bear in mind I decided to carry out this experiment out of curiosity for myself and I would not advocate for one minute that the iPhone makes the better choice for a photographer. But serious photographs can be made with it and it makes for an excellent light weight back-up camera.


Orangery using the X100f. f/16. Exposure: 1/17.

Orangery using an iPhone SE20. f/1.8. Exposure: 1/60.