Southport Flower Show and the iPhone 17pro.

Superb floral display in the ‘Floral Art’ tent.

I knew the day would be busy and crowded and I would have little time for any meaningful photography as we were also meeting with friends. I have recently bought an iPhone, the 17 Pro. My poor old SE was beyond help. This was the perfect time to try it out and leave my cameras at home. 

The weather was kind, and the sun had come out, but the show was packed with people as expected. Photo opportunities would be scarce, and we were really there to meet our friends, not for me to take  photographs.

The ‘Floral Art’ tent provided a good opportunity to test out the phone, and the displays were fabulous and very creative. I learned from reading up on-line that best practice is to toggle between zoom sizes rather than use the rather awkward screen control dial: .5, 1.2x, 2x, 4x, and 8x were optimised and good choices. This technique served me well as a total newcomer to this phone.

I chose not to shoot RAW, as I was only testing both myself and the phone. What I plan to do in the future is compare the Canon R100 and the iPhone 17pro and see what the results could be. For that comparison I will use RAW in both cases. But that is for another post.

For now, here are some photographs of the lovely floral artworks and displays…







The iPhone 17pro certainly produces excellent results, although this post is more about grabbing a few photos rather than reviewing the phone. But the day was enough to know that this device will be going with me to make many more photographs.