I’m going on a photo-walk with a 92 year old. Part 3. (About time I finished this).

 

Lake Windermere from Waterhead shore looking towards Bowness. Made with my vintage Mayfair.

I have already said in my previous post that the tiny Watson-type finders on the May Fair box camera made taking a photograph difficult for me. The finders were just too small to give me any real idea of what I was looking at. I've been spoiled by so many years of good EVs and viewfinders and modern mobile phones with large screens. Going back to a tiny (and very old and somewhat scratched) view finder made it hard to get good results. In the hands of a better photographer more used to this way of working the results would have been far better. The camera is robust, well made with no light leaks and a reasonable, if very old fixed lens.

The 120 negative before post processing. Made with an iPad camera on a fixed stand over a lightbox.

I wanted to use a vintage camera with 120 film and using my father's camera made it special. This has been a learning curve for me. I have learned that I must adapt the viewfinders in some way. I must also take notes - yes, field notes - for reference. Brighter conditions would have also helped and taking far more time over each and every photograph is perhaps the most important lesson.

Watson type viewfinder top and side of the May Fair box camera.

I enjoyed the experience though and working with such large negatives offers many advantages. Would I do this all over again? Yes, I would and with the same trusty old camera. When I eventually do, I'll post about it here.

Sefton Park water fountain, Liverpool.

Waterhead shore on Lake Windermere looking towards Ambleside.

The pictures I have chosen to add here are the best of the eight negatives. One was a total failure, while others were too similar to better shots or just too awful to show. 

Double exposure of the original Lake Windermere photograph.